The Greyhound is open again on July 4
It’s been a long haul and tough for all of us, but we’re delighted to confirm the Greyhound will be open again for business on July 4.
Americans may claim July 4 is Independence Day, but in Ipswich, it will forever be known as the day we got our pub back.
While you will receive our usual warm welcome, our main concern is the safety of customers and staff, so things will operate a little differently.
You will, therefore, be asked to follow new procedures when we open the doors at 11.30am.
Please do NOT:
- Come to the pub if you feel ill or live with someone who has coronavirus symptoms
- Come in groups of more than six or you will be refused entry. Up to six people from different households can sit together outside, but must remain 1+ metres apart from each other, other customers and our staff
Other details to take on board:
- We are not taking reservations on July 4 or 5
- Please enter by the side or front door only, and use the hand sanitizer
- Sign our register with your name, email address and phone number (one customer can do this on behalf of a group while the others sit at a table). This is for track and trace
- No standing around in the bar areas
- There will be four socially distanced serving points at the bars for your drink and food orders. Only one person from a group should use the serving point, and only use it when it is free
- You can take drinks back to your table. When it is ready, we will bring your food to a nearby serving table and let you know to collect it
- If all tables are taken and no service points are free, please wait at the door and queue using the mini-kegs as space markers. Be patient, we will have extra staff on so you should be served fairly fast
- Tables inside and out have been set for strict social distancing, so please do not move them
- The car park will be closed during this first re-opening phase, with extra tables laid out. You can park in the Crown Street multi-storey car park, or on Anglesea Road after 6pm for free
- Please only use the rear door to go out to the garden and to access the toilets (one in, one out) – to access service points at the bar, you must use the side or front doors
That’s quite a detailed set of instructions, but we’re sure you understand we must comply with guidance to keep everyone healthy.
It will be as strange to us as it will be for you, but we’ll all soon get used to the “new normal”!
As for opening and food service times, these will be adapted as we go, so please keep an eye on our social media channels for the latest update.
Here is our plan for the first week:
- Saturday 4th, open 11.30am to 11pm, food 12 to 9pm
- Sunday 5th, open 12 to 8pm, food 12 to 6pm
- Monday 6th, CLOSED but OPEN for Meet Up Mondays from 10am to 11.30am
- Tuesday 7th, CLOSED
- Wednesday open 12 to 7pm, food 12 to 3pm
- Thursday, open 12 to 10pm, food 12 to 3pm and 5.30pm to 9pm
- Friday, open 12 to 11pm, food 12 to 9pm
Our takeaway service was a great success during lockdown. You can still buy beer for takeaways from July 4, but our prices will be back to normal. Sorry! As for takeaway food, we know you’ve loved taking our food home, so we will look to begin takeaway food in a week or so, once we have got used to being open again.
We’ll be sure to keep you updated with any further changes.
In the meantime, stay safe. We can’t wait to welcome you back to Ipswich’s favourite pub!